The Internet is filled with wellness tips and self-care advice these days. Don’t get me wrong, it’s fantastic that people are starting to talk more and more about mental wellbeing. But what happens when those wellness tips like “go to yoga” or “meditate for half an hour each day” or “get outside and exercise” seem like way too much?
There are days when my alarm goes off in the morning and the thought of getting out of bed and starting my day fill me with dread. There are nights when I lie wide awake, paralysed with anxiety, unable to sleep. I can hardly function in those instances and the thought of meditating or exercising or trying yoga fills me with even more dread. How can I even begin to do something that requires lots of focus and/or motivation to begin with when I don’t even want to get out of the safe haven that is my bed.
That is why, my friends, it is so important to celebrate the small things. So you didn’t go outside and exercise but you got out of bed with your alarm and got a shower? Well done! You might not have run any errands on your list but you picked up your dirty clothes that were strewn all over the floor? Awesome!
These small victories are incredibly important, especially if the thought of doing anything at all seems too overwhelming. They are equally important stepping stones to getting to the big things. So what if I didn’t sit down and try to meditate today? I did manage to wash some dishes that were piling up in my sink. One day I will get there. And I will celebrate that victory too.
What small victories have I celebrated recently?
- I went to a museum over the weekend when I easily could have stayed inside in my apartment all day
- I changed my sheets (being sick for several weeks did provide a strong motivator for this)
- I am writing this post!
- I made myself a wonderful cup of tummy tea, something I haven’t done in awhile. It was so worth it
- I picked my clothes up off the floor (though there are already more clothes there again)
- I cooked myself dinner one night
- I shaved my legs
- I went to the doctor when I felt sick
- I laughed a lot at work
- I remembered to breathe when I was feeling really anxious
- I repeated my mantras when I didn’t want to get out of bed
Anxiety, depression and other mental health problems can make the simple acts of daily life a struggle. There were times when I would look at the above list and see nothing but failure. But they are things to be celebrated! They may seem small, but they are truly victories for me.
Looking for some small victory inspiration?
What small victories have you celebrated recently?