What You Should Know on World Mental Health Day

10 October is marked as World Mental Health Day by the World Health Organization, so I thought I’d take some time to write yet another post about mental health! Many people I talk to about my mental health are generally well-meaning. But it’s just hard for someone to really understand until they’ve been through what I’ve been through (and I wouldn’t wish that on anyone). Today I’m sharing some things I wish others knew about mental illness, using some of my favourite depression and anxiety comics.

You can’t just will it away

depression-2

Mental health conditions aren’t choices. They’re caused by chemical imbalances in the brain or triggered by traumatic or life-changing events. Obviously, we don’t want to be anxious or depressed. If we could just will it away with happy thoughts, exercise, yoga, or herbal tea we would.

Looking happy on the outside doesn’t mean that you’re not struggling on the inside

mental illness mask

“But you don’t look anxious!” I’ve heard that one before and it really upsets me. We can put on happy, carefree, normal fronts better than most because we don’t want to be judged by our anxiety or other mental health conditions. Just because we don’t look anxious or don’t constantly have panic attacks doesn’t mean we don’t struggle.

Telling us to calm down only makes things worse

Well-meaning people have told me, “calm down, there’s nothing to be anxious about” more times than I can count when I’m having a panic attack. 99.9% percent of the time, there is no reason for the panic attack, but telling us to calm down won’t make the panic attack stop. You’re only adding to our spiraling thoughts.

Sometimes we need a day off

nope-2

Some days are better than others. Some days you hop out of bed, ready to conquer the day. Other days, you simply can’t get out of bed, and every movement, even to the shower, requires extreme willpower. Living with mental illness is challenging and tiring, and not every day is perfect.

Mental illness should be treated like physical illness

physical-v-mental-illness-2

Many people don’t seek treatment for their mental illnesses because 1) many treatments aren’t covered by insurance and 2) there is still a huge stigma surrounding mental illness. Many people still just don’t understand that having a mental illness isn’t under our control. They are real, diagnosable, and treatable, just like most physical illnesses. After all, you wouldn’t tell someone with the flu to just suck it up, would you?

Mental illnesses are NOT adjectives

mental-illness-not-adjectives-2

Similar to using the R word to describe something stupid, one of my biggest pet peeves is when people use words like ‘bipolar’ or ‘depressed’ or ‘anxious’ to describe themselves in a sort of self-deprecating way. Something that really upset me one day was when someone I knew was working in the library and saying she was having a panic attack as she was writing down all the work she had to do. She probably has no idea that if she was having a panic attack, she wouldn’t even be able to bring herself to the library…

Mental illness is not a weakness

Sure, we may feel weak a lot, but our suffering has made us stronger than most people. We know how to act like nothing is wrong, even when something is. We’ve been through a lot and have come out stronger on the other end.

keukenhof flower

I hope this post makes sense (let me know if it doesn’t because I wrote it in a wave of passion) and sheds some light on mental illnesses.

world-mental-health-day

Mental Health
previous post
next post

15 Comments

Ima
    11 October 2016 at 04:16

“Mental health is not a weakness..”
    That part really got to me.
    Things like depression sure know how to suck life out of living, but they can be overcome.
    Thank you for sharing such a well detailed article on it.

almathews
      11 October 2016 at 18:25

Thank you so much for your comment :)

Andrea
    11 October 2016 at 09:48

Thank you for sharing this and help me understand better the people with mental health problem. After this article, I will be more patient people around me!

almathews
      18 October 2016 at 17:07

Thank you so much for reading and for your kind comment. I’m glad I was able to shed some light on mental health :)

Chel
    11 October 2016 at 11:25

I get that. I think that the more people talk about these types of things the more people will understand that it is not something that people can just “snap out of.” -Totally one of my pet peeves.

I write a lot about my anxiety challenges and briefly talked about living with depression, but I’m still scared to really write about that area. Since depression is such a sad and often scary place to be in… plus I don’t want people to just label me as that “depressed” person or she’s just so “Goth”. Ugh.

I loved the comics. I hope that they are able to really help out those that don’t struggle with mental illnesses. I mean – I wouldn’t wish my anxiety on anyone.

Thank you for the post. I enjoyed it.

almathews
      11 October 2016 at 12:27

Thank you for your comment :) I too write a bit about anxiety but haven’t written much about depression for many of the same reasons. Hopefully, by writing and sharing stories and comics about mental health we can help reduce the stigma!

ninaframbuesa
    11 October 2016 at 14:21

This is so needed. People don’t know enough and pass these things off as “oversensitivities.” Having lost a friend to suicide a few years ago I take this issue very seriously.

almathews
      11 October 2016 at 18:27

Exactly. I can’t tell you how many times people don’t believe that I, or many other friends, suffer from mental illness. Times need to change so that we can lose fewer lives. I’m sorry for your loss. Thank you for your comment x

Alix
    11 October 2016 at 21:41

Even though I’m not studying psychology anymore, mental health is still so interesting to me! Your post made total sense to me.

Alix | http://www.apintsizedlife.com

Jamie
    12 October 2016 at 09:09

Thank you for such an enlightening post. Great way to educate others on the trials of mental illness. Love the comics!

Jamie
    12 October 2016 at 09:11

Thank you for such an enlightening post. Your willingness to share will help so many. Love the comics!

almathews
      18 October 2016 at 17:05

adele
    12 October 2016 at 17:35

This is a really great post, such an important message! I am really glad to have come across your blog, keep up your wonderful work lovely lady! x

adelelydia.blogspot.com

almathews
      12 October 2016 at 20:13

Thank you so much for your comment! x

Ray
    19 October 2016 at 22:48

My University roommate suffered from mental illness, and sadly lost his battle with it in our second year. At first, I couldn’t understand the “why” or “how” of it all as mental illness was rarely talked about 16 years ago. It seems like we as a society have come a long way since then to address this just as serious as an other chronic illness we could potentially suffer from. An honest post like this really does help. I wish you all the best in winning your fight. Stay strong!