Experiencing Gilmore Girls: Coffee at Luke’s Diner

Anyone who knows me knows that I am a massive Gilmore Girls fan. I watch it just about every night before I go to bed. I have seen the entire series WAY too many times to count. I’ve even memorised a few too many lines #noshame.

When I heard that there would be Luke’s Diner pop ups all over the country in honour of the 16th anniversary of the first episode of Gilmore Girls and in anticipation of the revival in November, I knew I had to go. If only just to have some personal contact with a bit of the series that has meant so much to me since I started watching it all those years ago.

I arrived at my local Luke’s Diner location (Ground Central Coffee at 52nd between 3rd and Lexington) around 8:25, only to find a massive line that wrapped around the corner and down the block. Luckily one of my friends was already in line (thanks, CK!) so I was one of those queue jumpers I hate so much (it was worth it this time).

image-1-1

The line AFTER we rounded the corner

It’s funny, and not so surprising, that maybe 90% of those in line were twenty-something girls excitedly chatting with their friends. We did get a couple confused questions from random passers-by (usually older women and some businessmen) who were wondering why there was such a long line to get a cup of coffee…little did they know…

img_1664

the wait…

After about 40 minutes of waiting, we were close to the threshold (YAY!) and saw that there was a giant cardboard cut-out of Luke holding up his new sign – a perfect photo-op! The barista who works there regularly was decked out in a Luke’s apron and a backwards baseball cap, which apparently Netflix is making him give back, not cool! He was nice enough to let in the poor, confused regulars who did not want to wait around the block for their morning coffee.

img_1666

Upon entering, we saw the famous Luke’s sign and the probably more infamous No Cell Phones sign. #obsessed. All I needed was a grumpy Luke telling me to stop taking so many photos!

lukes gilmore girls

no cell phones gilmore girls

I grabbed my free coffee from the barista and proceeded to enjoy a couple more photo-ops before I had to rush off to work.

img_1658

img_1662

The security officer outside the UN jokingly asked if the coffee was for him, to whom I tried to hide my adamant NO with a laugh—I was not going to get rid of this coffee cup!

Pleased with my early morning conquest, I quickly edited the quote hidden below the sleeve and scanned the Snapchat code to find a temporary Stars Hollow filter. Yay!

img_1672

Gilmore Girls #obsessed

image-1

Nothing is better than a day filled with Gilmore Girls. I’m watching it as I write this post ;)

Did you go to one of the hundreds of Luke’s Diners across the country?

experiencing-gilmore-girls

Life in NYC, Musings, NYC, Travels
previous post
next post

11 Comments

Helen
    5 October 2016 at 23:22

I’m British and happened to be in the USA for this today – enter mass excitement as I LOVE Gilmore Girls. I went to one in San Fransisco and my boyfriend put up with me being all geeky and loving life. Glad to see you enjoyed it as much as me!

almathews
      6 October 2016 at 13:39

Ahh! I’m so glad you got to experience it! It was such a great day for Gilmore Girls fans in the US :)

Nicole
    6 October 2016 at 19:29

I just recently watched all the seasons of Gilmore Girls on Netflix and I became obsessed! I heard about this Luke’s coffee thing too late so I wasn’t able to go :( It looks like you had a blast though! I think it’s such a cool idea they came up with. It makes me even more excited for the new season to come out :)

I just started following you on bloglovin and I love your blog! I would love a follow back<3

xo Nicole

almathews
      18 October 2016 at 17:47

I’m so glad you discovered Gilmore Girls. It’s such a wonderful show and I’m so excited for the new episodes :) Followed you back on Bloglovin!

Rachel
    6 October 2016 at 21:57

What a line! But not surprising. I’m so disappointed I didn’t find out about this until 9 a.m. on the day of – I totally would’ve rearranged my morning commute!

almathews
      18 October 2016 at 17:11

Oh no! I’m lucky one of my friends messaged me about it the day before otherwise I never would have heard about it! I had to rearrange my morning commute but it was worth it…even if I did show up to work an hour late ;) Thanks for your comment!

Tanja (the Red phone box travels)
    11 October 2016 at 05:07

awesome! love Gilmore girls:)

Chel
    11 October 2016 at 19:51

Okay, I’m kind of a little – no a lot jealous about having a Luke’s to go to. Must look if they have any in Canada. I mean – I can’t be the only one in Canada that is a little obsessed with Gilmore Girls.

(Totally have been having the theme song in my head for a while now. Eeep!)

Now I have to go check it out. This looked like so much fun!!

Emily
    15 October 2016 at 13:17

This is awesome! I used to love the Gilmore Girls (okay, still do, I admit it!).
    Loving your blog, really great stuff!
    Emily x

almathews
      18 October 2016 at 17:00

Thank you so much! (Gilmore Girls is the best!)

Ray
    18 October 2016 at 18:20

I was wondering why there was this massive “pop up” promotion recently. Didn’t realize Netflix is releasing the new Gilmore Girls in November. My Girlfriend is super obsessed with the show!