For When You’re Feeling Happy

I wake up a lot of days and feel overwhelmed, whether with life in general or with the stuff on my to-do list for the day. Sometimes, however, I wake up feeling happy. Inexplicably filled with something resembling confidence or pride or determination. Ready to conquer what life throws at me; ready to take the day by storm. On these rare occasions, there are some things I like to Β keep in mind:

Ride the productivity train

On happy days, I get immensely more productive. Sometimes I like to reward my feelings of productivity with some Netflix, but this is usually counterproductive. Instead, remember to ride the productivity train. Keep being productive until you can’t anymore, then reward yourself for getting stuff done.

Take a break & treat yo self

feeling happy meal

When you feel happy, take a break to enjoy it. Walk around outside and let your happiness grow in nature. Grab your favourite pastry and enjoy the happiness in your stomach. You’ll not only increase your good feelings but you’ll also show your body and mind that your happiness is here to stay.

Write about it

feeling happy write about it

When in doubt, write it out. Write about how you feel happy. Or how productive you feel. Or why you think you woke up happy. Write it out so you can go back to these words later and remember what happiness feels like if you wake up with feelings of dread one day. Write so you can understand the circumstances of your happiness. Writing is therapeutic, but you shouldn’t only do it when you’re feeling down: build a habit of it so you can better understand your life at all crossroads. You’ll thank me later. (P.S. this post was spontaneously written when I woke up really happy!)

Share your happiness with others

Help someone out. Compliment someone. Reach out to a good friend, or to a friend whom you haven’t spoken with in ages. Take advantage of your happy day(s) and make someone else’s day. You’ll feel even happier but you’ll have also helped someone else who might not have been feeling as good as you.

feeling happy flowers

What do you like to do when you’re feeling happy?

feeling-happy

Mental Health
previous post
next post

14 Comments

Jessica
    28 October 2016 at 10:04

I am all for treating myself when I am feeling happy! I do it when I am feeling sad too!
    xo Jessica

almathews
      28 October 2016 at 14:12

I do it when I’m sad as well. No matter my mood, the treat myself philosophy always seems to help! Thanks for your comment :)

Nicole
    28 October 2016 at 12:04

I love this!!<3 I always have the urge to treat myself when I'm happy too :) And write about it is my other favorite thing! I also tend to call my entire family when I'm happy about something.

Thanks for sharing! I loved reading this!
    xo Nicole

almathews
      28 October 2016 at 14:13

Thank you so much for your kind words! Calling your family when you’re happy is a great way to celebrate your happiness as well! :)

Angela
    28 October 2016 at 12:06

I love the share it with others! I definitely try to spread my happiness when I’m feeling that way. Hard to do that sometimes though!

almathews
      28 October 2016 at 14:08

Yeah I love to try to share my happiness as well, as much as I can. Thanks for your comment :)

Samantha
    28 October 2016 at 13:38

It’s so important to share your happiness with others!

almathews
      28 October 2016 at 14:13

Agreed! A little happiness goes a long way. Thanks for your comment :)

jehava
    28 October 2016 at 21:33

This is really great! I haven’t read a post like this but, it is so helpful! Just to remember to be more productive when your doing good!

Lauren @ Glitter & Grandeur
    29 October 2016 at 10:25

This is great! It is so important to celebrate your happiness and live in it to keep it alive. I love to continue my happiness with either a night to pamper myself (bubble bath, wine, candle, book) or to grab dinner, drinks, or both with friends.

almathews
      29 October 2016 at 17:58

It definitely is! I love a good bubble bath but grabbing dinner with friends is a great way to continue and spread happiness. Thanks for your comment :)

Rosemary
    29 October 2016 at 12:53

Taking time to nurture oneself is really important :) The idea of sharing joy with others is uplifting, not only to the other people, to yourself as well. Thanks for sharing your happiness!

almathews
      29 October 2016 at 18:00

My thoughts exactly! Thanks for your comment :)